Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Poor Rocket

He's had a rough time lately. Poor guy has been sick, nothing major but he runs these crazy high fevers when he's sick, mainly at night. And of course there is the random vomitting trick he likes to break out for us from time to time. ; ) I'm actually getting pretty good about sensing it, believe it or not ...my vomit senses are tingling! and managed to make it to him with the PB (designated bowl, lol) or a towel for all but one time. Ew, sorry ...just realized how gross that paragraph is. It's just our life, I guess I assume if you're reading this then you kinda know how it goes around here anyway. ; )

But these fevers, they scare the shit out of me. Call me crazy, but I really do wonder about a possible connection to his fevers and his Autism. Not that they caused it, or anything ...but I do think there is some sort of link or connection going on there. None of the other kids run fevers like this, outside of the 2 times we had the flu. So two times in over a decade, and for him it's 5-6 times a year.

One of his tutors at school left last week. : ( She was great, and we miss her. It's so sad, good but sad too ...Rocket has been saying "sup Ta-ta" which is him saying "What's up, Tara?" We practice names often and he keeps asking for her. I know it will take him a while to get used to her being gone. The worst part is, we don't know who is replacing her yet ...he had a new tutor lined up but she quit like 4 days into it. I guess it's better to have her leave then to stay and not totally be into it, but still. Damn. Everyone there is amazing though and I know he's in good hands in the meantime, but it would be good for him to have the stability of having a regular M/W/F afternoon tutor.

So, on to some more positive stuff. "Mama" is back!!! I don't know if I mentioned this in the last update, it's pretty new still, but he's saying "mama" again. YAY!!!!!!!!! And "Papa" is back to "Papa" and not "Pom" lol. He calls both of his sisters "Izzie" and the other day he called C "Big Izzie" and also said "Izzie's my sisters." So cool!!!!!! He recognized the shirt Monkey Baby was wearing yesterday as one they both have, and vocalized that he wanted to wear his, too.

We got him a tricycle, he can actually ride one now!! He's getting used to his "swimming jacket" again his life vest ...and is starting to tolerate it more. He LOVES the pool.

He got approved for SSI. It was kind of bittersweet. Sad that he's officially disabled, I don't know why it stings, but it just does. It's not much money at all, we knew it wouldn't be ...it will cover 2 weeks of gas, maybe?? It's better than nothing, though.

I talked to someone at L's school about their programs for kids with Autism. Sounds like we're going to have one hell of a fight this summer at his first IEP. Just want we wanted, right? I don't know why they make it so damn hard for these kids to get the help they need. I mean the progress he's made in just over 2 months of ABA is astounding. I know it doesn't work for every kid with an ASD, but the ones it does? Why not let them continue until they're ready for kinder?

Well, Monkey Baby needs me ...now that "Big Izzie" is out of school for the summer, I will be updating this once a week though!

No comments:

Post a Comment